Sunday, January 11, 2009

Taking control of the process

The cyber and realtime versions of aMused Studio have been organised and tidied for the beginning of a new year. Tomorrow I'll get back to work with polymer clay.

There'll be two main projects. The first is to make a series of Leggy Bowls to have on hand at my workshop at Horizons.

The second project will be to assemble some tile collages and wall hangings. I thought that people at shows would enjoy selecting tiles to display in a composition on their walls. Thinking like a school teacher I made the booth interractive by backing the tiles with velcro and inviting visitors to mix and match and "have fun" on the display screen. As the show progressed I saw that many people became overwhelmed. One lady became so stressed that she actually left the booth- she explained that after walking through the whole show with all the crowds she wanted some tiles but trying to coordinate a set was too much for her to process. She was exhausted and had to go home. I felt better the next day when she came back and asked me to put a composition together for her. Lesson learned. What is fun for me may not be for someone else and people at a show want to shop- not "work".

I'll enjoy myself putting some groupings together and spare innocent shoppers the angst!


2 comments:

  1. Yep... my daughter, the classic undecider, will often just pick NOTHING instead of picking from an overwhelming selection.

    I think offering a little of each possibility will probably give the best returns. *I*'d love to go play with those tiles!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good lesson! LOL Thanks for passing it on. The tiles look delicious!

    ReplyDelete

I always love to get comments!